how long to leave light on baby chicks?

kimmie30

Hatching
8 Years
Aug 7, 2011
hi everyone
im new here ive just brought some 9day old chicks i was wondering if i have to turn their light out so they can sleep or i do i leave it running all the time?
Any help would be great!!

At nine days old they should be down to around 90 degree temps. You need to leave the light on 24/7 until you have them down to 70 degrees. You decrease the temps by 5 degrees each week.

Mine were at 90 too .. then after 1 week they went down to 85 then 2 weeks 80, 3 weeks 75. and now at 4 weeks mine are no light during the day just the sunlight coming on from the windows... but light on at night..

It's heat they need, actually, not light. Most people provide heat with a light. If they're outdoors in my temps, they don't need either during the day, and maybe not even at night.

oh yeah i just re read yours.. if your using a white light bulb they will pick at each other... you need a 250 red heat lamp.. you can get them pretty much anywhere.. stores ebay and so on.. the red they dont see and they dont pick on each other and they do get sleep with a white light they wont sleep you will have tired birds

Everyone would probably disagree with this but I put mine outside in the shade during the day at that age only bringing them for night and rain. Then after about a week, they never came back in. The weather is warm enough in Kentucky right now. They went to the garden, then in to a coop at night at about 9 days old. They are all fine and healthy, getting to forage every single day. My garden is very grown up and crowded with plants and a rabbit wire around the whole thing. I check on them often. They have some older chickens and teenage chicks to learn from.

I've started raising baby chicks. and need some answer on to how long to leave the heat lamp on them since i'm in Missouri the temp varies cause were going into may the temp is warm then chilly. when do you take your heat off them

oh yeah i just re read yours.. if your using a white light bulb they will pick at each other... you need a 250 red heat lamp.. you can get them pretty much anywhere.. stores ebay and so on.. the red they dont see and they dont pick on each other and they do get sleep with a white light they wont sleep you will have tired birds

The 250w is too hot after a while. They make a 125w red as well but they are harder to find. I switched to a 125w white. So far the chicks are not pecking and they are sleeping.

Back
Top Bottom