1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long to leave the lights on all night? and chick boredom

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by janepeppler, Sep 26, 2007.

1. janepeppler

janepeppler New Egg

Sep 21, 2007
    Hi,

My Java chicks were born last Friday and last Sunday (so they're not quite a week old). As an experiment I turned out their light a while ago and they went to sleep. When I leave the light on they seem to wake and sleep on a very short cycle. What's best for them?

Also, they seem to be going crazy with boredom in their box. So I built them a quick outside enclosure and took them out today for a couple hours. They caught ants. I can't see how I can keep them inside for six weeks, their legs are so long and powerful already! They're trying to fly!

Thoughts?

2. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    I kept my light on 24/7 till I took mine outside. Yes they were noisy but it kept them warm and they had to stay at 199 degrees for a while till all their older feathers came in and they could stay warm by themselves. Mine would freak-out when the light went out...LOL...now they have a light outside but its a outside light on a pole...Security light. I think it just depends on where you are and how cold it gets and their size also.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I have heard that light affects their growth at that age, that it's better for them to have it. Now, when raised by a broody, they dont have light on them all night, but also, chicks raised by broodies tend to be leaner, if you've ever noticed. Depending on your weather, you don't necessarily have to keep them inside for the entire six weeks, especially if you have somewhere that is draft-free and warm at night.

4. Rebel Chicken

Rebel Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2007
    southern Indiana
    I keep the light on my chicks 24/7 until they go outside. I've heard that "unless you turn off the light periodicly when they are chicks, some chickens can get night frights". I've not ever had this problem so I just leave the light on.

5. TxChiknRanchers

TxChiknRanchers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    Southeast Texas
    Quote:Isn't that a bit warm I only cook chicken at 250 [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2007
  6. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    I had heard to turn the lights off for a 1/2 hr or so when they were a couple of weeks old, so they get used to it...

I followed that, and was religious... and still it took my chickens WEEKS to figure out they needed to go into the henhouse (it's dark, it's scary!!) when it started getting dark. They're all set now, though.

And I agree, can't imagine keeping them in a brooder for 6wks. Mine go outside in the Chicken Teepee during the day, and back in the brooder at night. I'd have them in with the 'big girls' but still need to integrate (hopefully with no blood or hard pecking)

-Meghan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by