How long to let 'bullying' go on?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by TheHalfWayCoop, Nov 1, 2011.

1. TheHalfWayCoop

TheHalfWayCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Campbellville Ontario
    I'm sure that isn't the right wording... we had a family of four silkies (3 pullets and a roo, all siblings) and added four white silkies (3 pullets and a roo, all siblings as well), we decided to integrate our flock much sooner than the 1 month lock down as we know where the whites came from and are confident that they're 100% healthy. They've been residing together in a 20'x20' run with minimal fighting, establishing pecking order, etc... but everytime I take treats out to them our 'bigs' wont let the 'littles' have any. At all. At first I thought it was because ours are used to treats/scraps/extras and the newbies weren't, but after watching them I took some oatmeal out tonight and the bigs dug right so I took the bowl of veggie peels/apple/and egg noodles from this afternoon over to the newbies (who always stay together and always away from the others) and they dug right in, until one of the bigs came and chased them away from the food again. How long will this go on? Should I be seperating them again, or atleast seperating them to eat? The bigs are going on 6 months and the littles are coming up on 3 and are much tinier.

Thanks for reading this novel!

2. so lucky

so lucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    SE Missouri
    I would either separate them to eat, or set out more bowls of food than you have bullies. You can use paper plates or pieces of cardboard, if you don't have a bunch of chicken pans or bowls. Put a glop of oatmeal on 4 or 5 paper plates. The bullies can't be at all of them. It will possibly go on till your little ones get as big as the older ones. It's just their nature.

3. dirtsaver

dirtsaver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Kentucky
    We've integrated new girls into our flock a couple of times(after the 30 day wait of course) and both times we had to deal with this. It's part of having chickens. It will get better with time and the younger girls get bigger but it never stops completely. There is always competition between birds(even broodmates) no matter how old.

As lucky advised, if you have 10 chickens,set out 11 dishes of treats. Even then there will be some girls running from dish to dish claiming them.

Don't worry though, it will settle out in time.

4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Quote:Agreed, you'll have to set out a few separate treat areas.

5. Stephanie739

Stephanie739 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    What is the 30 day wait? I just got a rooster yesterday and put him with my four hens. Have I made a big mistake? I have been watching them to make sure the girls aren't being too mean, but they pretty much free range during the day (large fenced in area) so he has room to run from them.

6. Chickenberry

Chickenberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I agree with this advice... [​IMG]

7. dirtsaver

dirtsaver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Kentucky
    Quote:Stephanie the "30 day wait" is a quarrentine period to make sure the new chickens are not carrying diseases that can pass along to your flock. Most poultry diseases has a 30 day incubation or longer so this gives you time to observe them. It also give time to check for lice,mites and the like. this seperation means far away from your flock that germs are not carried by the wind to your girls too!

8. TheHalfWayCoop

TheHalfWayCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Campbellville Ontario
    Omg, I feel so dumb [​IMG] I'm calling preggo brain here. I have NO idea why it didn't occur to me to just put more dishes out... as soon as I read that I mentally slapped myself in the forehead. Well I'm sure the littles will thank you for pointing out what should have been obvious [​IMG] and now they'll get some treats!!!

Thanks for all the help, and for not making me feel stupid about [​IMG]

9. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    You can call it Preggo brain but I'm not pregnant, and I do it all the time!!! [​IMG]

10. Stephanie739

Stephanie739 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    Quote:Stephanie the "30 day wait" is a quarrentine period to make sure the new chickens are not carrying diseases that can pass along to your flock. Most poultry diseases has a 30 day incubation or longer so this gives you time to observe them. It also give time to check for lice,mites and the like. this seperation means far away from your flock that germs are not carried by the wind to your girls too!

hmm. I put a couple of baby cochins in with my 2 week old chicks too. I was thinking about pecking, meanness, and age/size difference more than anything else. I hope I haven't made a horrible mistake. I was so happy that everyone is getting along so well. Even the littlest bantam cochin gets right in the food pack even though a couple of the others look huge next to her. Does this precaution find disease often, or do most chicks usually blend on in with the others after the wait? I never get a flu shot or the flu either!? [​IMG][​IMG] Would you separate them now or just hope for the best? I got the new chickens late yesterday afternoon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by