how long to let sit shipped eggs before incubation

entropy

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 23, 2011
N. California-Browns Valley
How long do you typically let sit shipped eggs before incubation? 24 hrs or longer? I have also heard that you get better hatch rates if you do not turn eggs for the first 5-7 days of incubation. Is this true? I am a beginner and have only hatched a few batches of shipped eggs. My first was a 50% hatch rate ( 9 out of 18 shipped eggs). Is this typical? I am using a Brinsea 20EX so the temp and humidity are automatic. I have my temp at 99.5 and humidity at 40% unitl lockdown when I raised the humidity to 68%.

I wait 8 to 12 hours.Let eggs warm up to room temp before putting in incubator.I think putting them in a turner would help work out any air bubbles

i let mine sit for 24-36 hours... depending on how long it takes me to find time to do it in the day... i also put them in the bator with the egg turner off for about 4 days, but many people dont i heard. idk....
idunno.gif

How long do you typically let sit shipped eggs before incubation? 24 hrs or longer? I have also heard that you get better hatch rates if you do not turn eggs for the first 5-7 days of incubation. Is this true? I am a beginner and have only hatched a few batches of shipped eggs. My first was a 50% hatch rate ( 9 out of 18 shipped eggs). Is this typical? I am using a Brinsea 20EX so the temp and humidity are automatic. I have my temp at 99.5 and humidity at 40% unitl lockdown when I raised the humidity to 68%.

I just hatched a batch of shipped eggs. i let them rest and come up to room temp slowly for 24 hrs. then put them in the turner turned off in straight up position...let them sit undisturbed for 7 days...i did not handel them for that 7 days and during that streach did not add any humidity..that allows evaporation slowly and the embryo can build strength during that time...sometimes depending on air cell damage they can sit for 10 days..brinsea is set it and forget it machine almost..great company..some of the eggs start to develope slightly befor they are shipped..the pressure in cargo plane scrambles the embryo that is trying to organise.. sometimes those come back to life but quit later on.if your room humidity is high try to run the humidity a little lower but not dry ..by allowing them to sit for 7 days they build a lot of strength..it should increase your numbers depending ..it seems the better the air cell heals the better the hatch...

15 of mine were fertile..12 hatched, 3 were full term in shell failed to pip...

How long do you typically let sit shipped eggs before incubation? 24 hrs or longer? I have also heard that you get better hatch rates if you do not turn eggs for the first 5-7 days of incubation. Is this true? I am up to room temp slowly for 24 hrs. then put them in the turner turned off in straight up position...let them sit undisturbed for 7 days...i did not handel them for that 7 days and during that streach did not add any humidity..that allows evon slowly and the embryo can build strength during that time...sometimes depending on air cell damage they can sit for 10 days..brinsea is set it and forgethine almost..eat company..some of the eggs start to develope slightly befor they are shipped..the pressure in cargo plane scrambles the embryo that is trying to organise.. sometimes those come back to life but quit later on.if your room humidity is high try to run the humidity a little lower but not dry ..by allowing them to sit for 7 days they build a lot of strength..it should increase your numbers depending ..it seems the better the air cell heals the better the hatch...

15 of mine were fertile..12 hatched, 3 were full term in shell failed to pip...

your temp is perfect for that machine..just a tiny adjustment in beginning because they are shipped eggs in humidity and leave turner off 7 days.. then it runs as normal turner on ect...

Last edited:
I always let mine sit out for 24 hours, too, & no turning for the first few days. It's very common to have mediocre hatch rates with shipped eggs. A lot of times you're doing good if you get a 50-60% hatch rate with them. The best I've ever had was 70-something% & the worst 0.

I always let mine sit out for 24 hours, too, & no turning for the first few days. It's very common to have mediocre hatch rates with shipped eggs. A lot of times you're doing good if you get a 50-60% hatch rate with them. The best I've ever had was 70-something% & the worst 0.
I have got a 80% hatch rate before incubating shipped eggs in my homade incubator

Back
Top Bottom