how long to make eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hildymarie, Dec 13, 2009.

1. hildymarie

hildymarie Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2009
    da UP of Michigan
    HOw long does it take for the egg to come down the chute? We recently got 19 isa browns who are prollu 2 and a half years old. They have been doing like 9 to 11 eggs a day. These prolly all got started while in their former home. I want to figure out when the new ones start down the chute so I can correlate any change in egg production. We've had them since Tuesday the 8th and it is the 13th now. I thought soem wherne i read 2 weeks but I'm not sure.

2. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    It takes 25 hrs for an egg to make. That doesn't mean they will lay every day though. I don;t know much about Isa Browns but I thought they were production birds and at 2 1/2 years old they would be at the end of their laying. Hope I am wrong and others that have this breed can certainly help you more.
    And keep in mind that if they do have eggs to give you, it takes a week or so for them to adjust to a new home. Some birds will lay right away but most will take a while to get adjusted.
    Good luck![​IMG]

3. hildymarie

hildymarie Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2009
    da UP of Michigan
    Thanks for the info, I was thinking it was much longer than that. Actually they didtn quit laying. They have been laying from 9 to 14 eggs a day. Just today was the 14. Not sure if they they are taking turns or there are a few who are done altogether. We've only had them since Tuesday so its been a week. I'm surprised they are even still laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by