How long to meat birds need heat?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Cindy2348, Sep 5, 2009.

1. Cindy2348

Cindy2348 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2009
    Oxford, Nova Scotia
    Just wondering how long meat birds need heat? Mine are how two weeks old and I have moved them outside into a tractor but I still have a light in it for heat. Is that still necessary?

2. ChikeeMomma

ChikeeMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Mid Michigan
    I'm assuming they need heat just like any other chick -- until they are feathered out. I still have a lamp on my 4 week old Dixie Rainbows. It is just on at night now. They are almost feathered out completely, though.

3. weaveagarden

weaveagarden Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2009
    Hoquiam, Wa
    If Nova Scotia is as cold as I imagine it is, I hope they feather fast. I had always heard that you take them down from 100degrees by 5 degrees per week until 70. I sped that up just a bit with mine, but our nights are in the 50's right now. If yours are, you might need to leave that light on for at the least a few more weeks. I think I would during the day if the temps don't at least reach 75 for the next week or two. Maybe I am wrong, so somebody else please chime in here. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
  4. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

A good rule of thumb is that they can be out in the cold (even down to freezing temps,) after three weeks. I usually supplement them with heat lamps when they're outside though, unless it's hot out. Keeping them warm and draft-free at night will only help them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by