How long to quarantine baby chicks from other baby chicks

ninja333pirate

Songster
Aug 3, 2020
Pacific Northwest, WA
So I ordered 16 chicks and I got them a few days ago and now 9 have died (most right away first 2 days) idk why they died besides stress, but some have suggested cocci is possible, so I am treating the rest with corid and they seem to be doing fine now, but am wondering how long should I quarantine them from chicks that I hatched myself? (Mine all hatched today and all seem to be in great health)

So I ordered 16 chicks and I got them a few days ago and now 9 have died (most right away first 2 days) idk why they died besides stress, but some have suggested cocci is possible, so I am treating the rest with corid and they seem to be doing fine now, but am wondering how long should I quarantine them from chicks that I hatched myself? (Mine all hatched today and all seem to be in great health
It's not coccidiosis. Chicks that are only a few days old are too young to have contracted it and developed disease.
It is likely just the stress of being shipped and the weakest ones did not survive.
How long did it take for them to arrive once you got notice they were shipped?
Was there a heat pack in the shipping box under the bedding pad?
Did you show each of them their water source when they were unpacked?
What was the weather like during shipment?
Have you checked for pasty butt?
They can be combined right away with your hatched chicks as long as the brooder is large enough. I like a minimum of 2 sq ft per chick so that they have plenty of space to zip around and use their wings as they grow. I also MUCH prefer to brood outdoors with as much fresh air as possible.
How did you set up the brooder? Warm on one end/cool on the other where the food and water are?

It's not coccidiosis. Chicks that are only a few days old are too young to have contracted it and developed disease.
It is likely just the stress of being shipped and the weakest ones did not survive.
How long did it take for them to arrive once you got notice they were shipped?
Was there a heat pack in the shipping box under the bedding pad?
Did you show each of them their water source when they were unpacked?
What was the weather like during shipment?
Have you checked for pasty butt?
They can be combined right away with your hatched chicks as long as the brooder is large enough. I like a minimum of 2 sq ft per chick so that they have plenty of space to zip around and use their wings as they grow. I also MUCH prefer to brood outdoors with as much fresh air as possible.
How did you set up the brooder? Warm on one end/cool on the other where the food and water are?
I had indeed introduced them to their water right away, they were in the mail 3 days, they came from Texas and live in Washington so there could have been a wide variety of weather patterns during the time they were in the mail. I did not notice any heat pack, they also did not include any grow gel (they said they would) with the exception of the one that was already dead when it arrived no one else had pasty butt. (oh and the box was a little bit squished on one side not flattened just a little squished)

one did have a runny mucousy clear poop that I saw. There was a warm side and a cold side. I cannot brood outside as we have racoons, cats and our neighbors house is infested with rats, It is unsafe out there for them. and the food was on the cool side but I used paper towels and sprinkled plenty of food out for them to eat, and the water was at the cusp of the warm and cold side.

The first day when I brought them home, there was one already dead and one that was on its way out. then one shortly after grew lethargic and died, (mind you I ordered 16 sebrights, 8 silver laced sebrights and 8 gold laced sebrights, and they sent me the gold laced ones and messed up my order and sent me silver duckwing OEGBs instead of silver laced sebrights) first three that died were sebrights.

I had the water already set up in the brooder for them it was at room temperature, it had electrolytes, vitamins, and probiotics in it. I also gave the lethargic ones sugar water. and offered them an egg yolk to see if It would also help, most gobbled it up quickly.

By nearly 10 pm that night another sebright died the next morning 2 OEGBs died, I checked on them at 8 in the morning (mind you I checked on them every 2 hours that night and every 15 minutes after I got them during the day) and an hour later one of the 2 OEGBS was dead and shortly after the other died in my hands) this one was gasping for air at the end.

Then later that day anther sebright went lethargic and I managed to nurse it back to health with sugar water egg yolk and a lot of rubbing its body to keep it awake, it even got some energy and ate some cooked egg yolk with the rest of them even playing in the game of keep away with the rest, but by the next day it started sleeping all day and I tried nursing it back to health but it to ended up giving up also gasping a bit at the end. then later that day another died this time a 3rd OEGB, also lethargic sleeping a lot and found it dead in the brooder (gave it egg yolk and sugar water) since then the remaining 7 out of the 17 I ordered are doing fine, eating, drinking, sleeping, playing, pooping, little bit of pasty butt, nothing extreme though and easy to clean off. Mind you the last 2 died over 48 hours after bringing them home.

I had indeed introduced them to their water right away, they were in the mail 3 days, they came from Texas and live in Washington so there could have been a wide variety of weather patterns during the time they were in the mail. I did not notice any heat pack, they also did not include any grow gel (they said they would) with the exception of the one that was already dead when it arrived no one else had pasty butt. (oh and the box was a little bit squished on one side not flattened just a little squished)

one did have a runny mucousy clear poop that I saw. There was a warm side and a cold side. I cannot brood outside as we have racoons, cats and our neighbors house is infested with rats, It is unsafe out there for them. and the food was on the cool side but I used paper towels and sprinkled plenty of food out for them to eat, and the water was at the cusp of the warm and cold side.

The first day when I brought them home, there was one already dead and one that was on its way out. then one shortly after grew lethargic and died, (mind you I ordered 16 sebrights, 8 silver laced sebrights and 8 gold laced sebrights, and they sent me the gold laced ones and messed up my order and sent me silver duckwing OEGBs instead of silver laced sebrights) first three that died were sebrights.

I had the water already set up in the brooder for them it was at room temperature, it had electrolytes, vitamins, and probiotics in it. I also gave the lethargic ones sugar water. and offered them an egg yolk to see if It would also help, most gobbled it up quickly.

By nearly 10 pm that night another sebright died the next morning 2 OEGBs died, I checked on them at 8 in the morning (mind you I checked on them every 2 hours that night and every 15 minutes after I got them during the day) and an hour later one of the 2 OEGBS was dead and shortly after the other died in my hands) this one was gasping for air at the end.

Then later that day anther sebright went lethargic and I managed to nurse it back to health with sugar water egg yolk and a lot of rubbing its body to keep it awake, it even got some energy and ate some cooked egg yolk with the rest of them even playing in the game of keep away with the rest, but by the next day it started sleeping all day and I tried nursing it back to health but it to ended up giving up also gasping a bit at the end. then later that day another died this time a 3rd OEGB, also lethargic sleeping a lot and found it dead in the brooder (gave it egg yolk and sugar water) since then the remaining 7 out of the 17 I ordered are doing fine, eating, drinking, sleeping, playing, pooping, little bit of pasty butt, nothing extreme though and easy to clean off. Mind you the last 2 died over 48 hours after bringing them home.
Does the hatchery you purchased them through offer a live guarantee? I would report your high losses to them as well as the fact there was no heat pack or gro-gel in the box and get a refund at a minimum. Bantams are particularly fragile when shipping.

Does the hatchery you purchased them through offer a live guarantee? I would report your high losses to them as well as the fact there was no heat pack or gro-gel in the box and get a refund at a minimum. Bantams are particularly fragile when shipping.
Yea a 48 hour guarantee, I have messaged them, they emailed me back once but have not heard back from them since (that was friday). Figured maybe tomorrow they will get back to me, they offered a refund for the wrong chicks that were sent and for the original 3 dead ones. But they have not responded to me telling them that more then 3 died now.

An update on my talking to the company, they have agreed to give me a full refund for the entire order since I have had so much trouble with keeping all the chicks alive on top of not getting half the correct chicks. the customer service agent I talked to was very kind and respectful as well.

Back
Top Bottom