How long to recover from "heatstroke"?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by greenSearcher, Aug 7, 2011.

1. greenSearcher

greenSearcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2010
    Texoma
    Had a bad day yesterday, lost one pullet to the heat and a second young pullet was brought in near death. I cooled her, held a towel wrapped polar ice block to her feet and next to her until she would open her eyes and take a sip a water, then put her in the hospital crate w/ food, water and melon. She did eat and drink lightly, but mostly just sleeps. After 24 hours she is starting to move around and groom herself. I am wondering how long it normally takes for recovery. I don't want to put her back out, either in the garage or the coop until she is normal. Both locations are over a hundred by this time of day, even w/ their wading pools. The heat is brutal, we are having lows of 82 at night, today is 106, and the next two days are forcasted for 110+. There is a good breeze, but it feels like a convection oven. The heat and drought have taken all the joy out of this summer.

2. PAchickenlover

PAchickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    Wow I wish I could give you the answer but I can't. But hopefully someone here can help you. Sorry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by