How long to regrow feathers after being picked?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Ardizzone7, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Ardizzone7

Ardizzone7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Redkey, IN
    I have 10 hens and just recently culled 2 roos. I have 3 hens with bare spots on their backs and one with a bare back and the tops of her wings are bare from the roos. She was their favorite! Now that the roos are gone, how long will it take to grow their feathers back? I am a little worried because the skin looks almost dry and scaley on some of them. Is there anything I can do to speed up the process?

2. yelim

yelim Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Plant City, Florida
    Not sure how long it take, couple of weeks, but I have 17 now and all but 5 have bare backs. I had three roosters out of the 25 I started with. Over time I culled the three roosters and still have bare backs. I have treated for mites to no avail. If it were mites I would think all of them would have bare backs. I think I have feather pickers, so Sat. Iwill take all the feathered ones to the swap meet and see what happens with the rest of them.

3. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Add more protein . It could take a month or more for the feathers to grow back.

4. Ardizzone7

Ardizzone7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Redkey, IN
    I will do that. I can scramble them up some eggs. Also I have 8 chicks that are getting chick starter feed. I will add some of that in their feed. I do think though that I have a feather picker too. Just don't know which one(s).

5. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    You could observe them & find the culbrit & isolate her for awhile. This will throw the order off & put her on the bottom.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by