How long to see improvement in hen with swollen eye treated with antibiotics?

eikome

Songster
Apr 26, 2018
Upstate NY
I have a hen with one swollen eye. First it was bubbly one afternoon, then it swelled shut the next morning. It isn't pus-filled or smelly. There isn't any discharge from her nostrils. She isn't sneezing or gasping. She is eating and drinking, but is more lethargic than usual. Her poops look normal, maybe slightly more watery. She is not laying. No other hens have swollen eyes or are lethargic. A couple may have sneezing, but it's also been super dry and dusty, so I'm not sure.

I have been treating the sick hen with antibiotics (doxy-tyl, 1 tsp per gallon) in her water, and antibacterial ointment in her eye. Today is day 3 and her eye is still swollen shut, although not any worse than yesterday.

Should her eye be less swollen by now? Should I be doing something different? Should I try tylosin instead of doxy-tyl? Or might it be viral?

Update: her eye is looking a little bit better this evening (of day 3) and she's acting a little more alert. I was probably just being impatient and the antibiotics needed longer to work. Fingers crossed she makes a full recovery.

Back
Top Bottom