How long to separate a biting hen?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Schwartzfarmnc, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Schwartzfarmnc

Schwartzfarmnc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    West Jefferson
    Have another Delaware hen who has now begun to bite everyone's comb, this is not something she used to do but lately she goes after other chickens and chases and bites them. We put her in detention for 2 days in the coop but not with the others and tried to see if things would be different today but no luck. We did order some pinless peepers but won't get them probably for several days, should we leave her alone in the separation area until they get here?

Is winter time making birds start biting or feather picking more than the warmer months? I'll never have another Delaware again, both have been white devils.

2. Schwartzfarmnc

May 28, 2010
    West Jefferson
    Anyone? Has no one else dwelt with a bully hen?

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I had a few bully hens picking on my Polish. They (3) got their own pen with a rooster. The rooster kept them busy. 5 months later they are back with the flock.

4. Schwartzfarmnc

May 28, 2010
    West Jefferson
    Quote:We have no roosters, would you keep her separated until the pinless peepers come in? One of our EE's have begun pecking a few others and then running away, I wonder why the aggression so sudenly?

5. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Maybe put them both in jail till those peepers arrive.
    If she's biting some other's combs, it might be a dominance thing because there's no rooster. Sometimes a hen takes over and becomes dominant without a man to keep them in place.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  6. Schwartzfarmnc

May 28, 2010
    West Jefferson
    Very interesting thought...I've never considered adding a "man" to elimate the dominance threat, thanks!
    I do think I will remove her from the flock for the rest of the week and try to re-introduce her back this weekend or the first of next week, she hates being in the "time out" area, I sure hope she'll calm down and eat and drink the first 2 days in there I don't think she ate very much at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by