How long to treat with Durmyacin-10 powder?

Dandelions

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 25, 2013
Alexander City, AL
I just started my flock a few weeks ago. I got some Columbian Wyandottes from a man with... shall we say... less than healthy living conditions for his chickens. His birds all looked nice and healthy, so I decided to get them despite the conditions of their living quarters.

Anyway, since having them home everybody seems to be doing GREAT! However, I noticed one chicken seemed to be less perky than the rest and her eyes looked pinkish and watery. One other chicken seemed fine, but had one watery/pinkish eye. These chickens were still in a brooder (I had about 6 in a brooder that were much smaller than the rest of the chickens I got from him) so I separated the two that looked sickly from the rest of the chickens in the brooder.

I started these two on Durmyacin-10 powder in their water Sunday. The one that only had one watery eye looks almost completely normal now! The other more sickly chicken is very perky now, and has shown HUGE improvement in her eyes, but still look a bit watery and pink.

I know I need to keep them on it for a bit, and that I shouldn't stop it as soon as I see improvement. But the question is, how long should I treat them and keep them separate? I've googled my eyes out, and I found plenty on how to mix it, but not much on how long to treat with it. Any suggestions?

dawg53

Humble
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
Nov 27, 2008
Glen St Mary, Florida
I just started my flock a few weeks ago. I got some Columbian Wyandottes from a man with... shall we say... less than healthy living conditions for his chickens. His birds all looked nice and healthy, so I decided to get them despite the conditions of their living quarters.

Anyway, since having them home everybody seems to be doing GREAT! However, I noticed one chicken seemed to be less perky than the rest and her eyes looked pinkish and watery. One other chicken seemed fine, but had one watery/pinkish eye. These chickens were still in a brooder (I had about 6 in a brooder that were much smaller than the rest of the chickens I got from him) so I separated the two that looked sickly from the rest of the chickens in the brooder.

I started these two on Durmyacin-10 powder in their water Sunday. The one that only had one watery eye looks almost completely normal now! The other more sickly chicken is very perky now, and has shown HUGE improvement in her eyes, but still look a bit watery and pink.

I know I need to keep them on it for a bit, and that I shouldn't stop it as soon as I see improvement. But the question is, how long should I treat them and keep them separate? I've googled my eyes out, and I found plenty on how to mix it, but not much on how long to treat with it. Any suggestions?
Duramycin 10 soluable powder dosage is 1 tablespoon per gallon of water for the 800mg dosage. Give it to them for 7-14 days and make a fresh mixture daily. There's a 21 day withdrawal period after the last dosing.

pichuris

Chirping
7 Years
May 15, 2012
Strasburg Colorado
Duramycin 10 soluable powder dosage is 1 tablespoon per gallon of water for the 800mg dosage. Give it to them for 7-14 days and make a fresh mixture daily. There's a 21 day withdrawal period after the last dosing.
Huh. Well heck what was my vet thinking then.
smack.gif

Top Bottom