How long to wait after due date?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BlackAce, Aug 1, 2013.

1. BlackAce

BlackAce Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2013
    I have both chicken and duck eggs in my incubator. It's been a week after the due date for both. How much longer should I wait? I marked the area of the air sack with pencil and plan on checking them in a couple days to see if there is any shrinkage. How much longer should I wait. Last time I incubated eggs they were right on the due date. I know it's say a few days after the date but its been a week now.

2. five is my dog

five is my dog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2013
    maybe a few days doesnt sound good though.[​IMG]

3. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    After a full week, I'd say it's a safe bet that they won't hatch. If they were mine, I'd get them out of the incubator before they explode.

4. five is my dog

Jul 4, 2013
    i dont think they will explode mine didnt hatch so i waited 2 weeks and no explosions. of course im wrong if youve had them explode

5. BlackAce

Jun 7, 2013
    I think I'm gonna wait just a few more days. I have two eggs that look really good. Maybe I could be off a week. At least I'm hoping!!!

6. five is my dog

Jul 4, 2013
    good luck!

7. BlackAce

Jun 7, 2013
    Thanks!

I checked the eggs today and saw a crack on one of the eggs like one is trying to come out. But other than that nothing else. No peeps, nothing. I'm hoping it will come out.

8. BlackAce

Jun 7, 2013
    Well I did an egg autopsy today on my egg. I had three Cayuga duck eggs and one RIR egg. I checked them out two of the Cayugas were rotten. The RIR stopped developing and the last Cayuga looked like it died not too long ago. It looked like it was developing great and ready to hatch but died :( The only thing left was the yolk, so it must have died right around the due date. I had 8 RIR's and 8 Cayugas and all in the beginning seemed to be developing really well.

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it but I had an accident about 2 weeks ago. My dog accidentally hit the power cord and knocked over the incubator. I lost two eggs when it fell. After that is when everything seemed to go down hill. Could the shock of the incubator some how caused the eggs to die? Out of 16 eggs I had ZERO hatch. This was my second time incubating eggs, the first time I had no idea what I was doing and managed to get 2 out of 13 eggs to hatch. This time everything went really well and everything looked good and I get nothing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by