How Long to wait after RIR's squat?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Tomfieldenloveshichickens, Dec 19, 2010.

1. Tomfieldenloveshichickens

Tomfieldenloveshichickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    Somerset, England
    Hi,

A few of my chickens have started squatting. Both of them are RIR's. They started squatting 2 days ago but still no eggs. I have nesting boxes for them and am still waiting for them to lay their first eggs as they are 27 weeks old. Hopefully i will get my egg before christmas. I feed them layers pellets and oyster shells. They have a nice coop and fresh water. Can people tell me fom their experiences how long they have had to wait for their RIR's from when they have started squatting in days. How long will i have to wait. Their combs and waddles are nice and red and are quite big.

Thanks

2. AJ666

AJ666 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    La Crosse, WI
    Mine was about five days after i first saw her squatting.

3. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    I have 3 that have been squatting for 2 weeks with no sign of an egg. On the other hand, 2 of the 7 are now officially laying (as of today). the other 3 just started squatting this week.

Quote:

4. sixty7x

sixty7x Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2010
    Warwick RI
    mine layed about a week after squatting. first eggs were at 25 1/2 weeks. we've been collecting for a week and a half now. I thought for sure they would hold off until spring, but now they are laying machines.

5. NatureLove11

NatureLove11 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2010
    My sexlink has been squatting for two weeks and i havent seen an egg but my leghorn never squatted for me and she layed an egg yesterday

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by