how long to wait before setting eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by IwannaBEaMERMAID, May 14, 2010.

1. IwannaBEaMERMAID

IwannaBEaMERMAID Songster

Oct 28, 2009
    Beverly Hills, CA
    i just got my shipped eggs and fertile eggs from trader joes, how long should i wait to set them under broody??

2. key west chick

key west chick Songster

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    I put them in the morning after I get them. So basically, they sit overnight.

3. IwannaBEaMERMAID

IwannaBEaMERMAID Songster

Oct 28, 2009
    Beverly Hills, CA
    really....both or just the shipped ones....can a hour sitting do??

4. key west chick

key west chick Songster

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    Just the shipped ones sit over night. I think it has something to do with letting them "rest" before they start to incubate.

5. chickee

chickee Songster

Quote:My last shipped eggs I let rest 8 hrs because none had broken air sacs (9 of 18 hatched) This batch of shipped eggs that I just put in the incubator yesterday, I let rest for 24 hrs because when I candled them I saw 7 with broken air sacs and I read that it helps them to settle back into place when resting for the 24 hrs. I candled them again before I put them in the incubator, and all but ones air sac looked more stable! [​IMG] While your eggs are resting be sure to trade off elevating the ends of the egg carton ( I use a book) so the yokes won't stick. This time, after reading about the best ways to handle shipped eggs, I put the egg carton in a plastic bag (open ended!) to keep them from drying out for the 24 hrs. I did open the carton the last 3 hrs. to let the eggs come to room temp. Only time will tell if these steps did any good!? [​IMG] GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR HATCH! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by