how long to wait before taking action with possible egg bound hen?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jlmann, Mar 29, 2009.

1. jlmann

jlmann Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    I've had chickens for a long time. I've had egg bound hens before , but because I stay so busy I never caught it in time and it always resulted in prolapse then culling. I have a brown/red LF ameracauna that has not layed for two days ( she normally lays every day or every other day). No evidence of egg eating and she is the only blue egg layer in the coop right now. I felt around on her belly yesterday and I can feel the tip of an egg kind of between her backbone/tail and the back of her breast bone. How long should I wait before taking action? I have mineral oil on hand and I am not squeamish but I don't want to risk breaking the egg internally if anyone thinks she might be ok just slow with this egg. I really don't want to loose this hen as she is one of my favorites. Thanks in advance! and wish me luck. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  2. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd start immediately with a shallow belly bath. Then move on, if necessary to lubing and assisting her manually. Wear latex gloves if possible. I know it's a messy procedure, but if your separate her and prepare for the mess, I think you'll be happier. I'm confident you'll do fine, the very best of luck with her.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  3. jlmann

jlmann Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    Thanks a bunch. She's really not suffering she's eating and drinking pretty normally I just noticed she hadn't layed for a while and wanted to be pro active because she really is a sweet bird.

4. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm hoping the warm water will assist her muscles in relaxing so she will pass that egg for you and anything in behind it. A few towels later and you'll have a clen bird who doesn't get in serious trouble! Check the appearance/scent of any material that comes out/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by