How long to wait between roosters?

Erba

Crowing
5 Years
May 4, 2018
Bollschweil, Germany
I am planning to cull some non standard Light Sussex roosters soon, and want to know how long I have to wait until they are completely out of the flock. The Standard hens have two standard Light Sussex roosters running at present, so all the eggs will be fertile. Just need to know how long to wait before I can start collecting them to incubate.

The general belief is that after removing a rooster hens maintain high fertility for one week, moderate fertility for two weeks, some fertility for three weeks and occasional fertility for four weeks. Most people wait at least three weeks.

The general belief is that after removing a rooster hens maintain high fertility for one week, moderate fertility for two weeks, some fertility for three weeks and occasional fertility for four weeks. Most people wait at least three weeks.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You should probably listen to this guy. He knows his stuff. I've always been good with two weeks, but maybe my roosters weren't as fertile?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You should probably listen to this guy. He knows his stuff. I've always been good with two weeks, but maybe my roosters weren't as fertile?

Fertility of the rooster and time of year are both factors impacting viability of sperm. Some have even claimed fertility beyond the 4 week period :eek:

When I switch out a rooster I wait 4 weeks, this will allow time for the hen/s to get cleaned out but also gives the hen/s time to relax without a rooster around.

X2
Three weeks, even at four you may still have sperm retention.

Back
Top Bottom