How long to wait to hatch eggs...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by FrankNLiveOak, Sep 4, 2014.

1. FrankNLiveOak

FrankNLiveOak Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2013
    We have two flocks - one is Wyandotte's (about 8 birds) and the other Heritage Road Island Reds (about 35 birds). Recently one of the Wyandotte roosters got in with the hRIR hens and was partying.

So, how long to we have to wait before we can hatch the hRiR eggs again and feel assure they are pure hRiR? I have heard the hens remain fertile for 2 weeks or so, so I was thinking around 6 to 8 weeks?

Frank

2. FrankNLiveOak

Mar 12, 2013
    Also, the hRiR rooster keep very busy, so I expect the hens were already impregnated, but I not sure if that matters?

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    The hen can store viable sperm for 2 weeks. During that 2 week period, the sperm looses viability. So, when you remove the Wyandotte, and the hRIR gals only have their hRIR roos available, you should be good to go with pure hRIR eggs after 2 weeks.

4. FrankNLiveOak

Mar 12, 2013
    Cool, thank you, so we will wait 4 weeks just to be sure :) We got caught off guard. We have had hRIR for about a year and a half and they never venture outside their fenced area (about 10 acres). We got the Wyandottes as an experiment and put them into the fenced paddock with the goat bucks, and it wasn't long before they were everywhere - lol - I mean everywhere, in the neighbors yards, in with the hRIR's, everywhere. The fences to them are just suggestions that they like to ignore.

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I hear you. I have one RCBL who scoffs at every fence. I gave her an other wing trim today, but, it's a total waste of time. And she instigates the other girls into misbehavior.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by