how long to wait to help?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ellenaspen, Aug 10, 2011.

1. ellenaspen

ellenaspen Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2011
    I have one that has been working for 24 hours. There is a crack all the way around the shell but he/she doesn't bust it open...it is moving around and cheeping...

2. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Leave it alone. It will be alright you will be letting humidity out that needs to be in.
    Michele

3. John Chicken GB

John Chicken GB Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2011
    Great Britain
    Quote:24 hours is long enough to wait , I think . Give a little help now then add an eggcup of hotish water to the inc ! good luck ! x

4. builderone

builderone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    I helped 2 of mine the last hatch and they are doing fine. Everyone does it different.
    Chad

5. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

Quote:24 hours is long enough to wait , I think . Give a little help now then add an eggcup of hotish water to the inc ! good luck ! x

X2.. i know I would help him at that point

6. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

X's 2. They should have hatched already if they've externally zipped. It could simply be the chick is too large to maneuver properly to get their foot in a position to kick their way out. We had one of those yesterday. Huge chick who had pipped but made no progress in 12 hours. Helped him out and he's fine now.

7. dwegg

dwegg Chillin' With My Peeps

I have only hatched two hatches so take my advice with that in mind...anyway I helped 4 chicks in my last hatch out by quickly grabbing them out held in a warm wet cloth and I chipped off the shell bit by bit with a pair of tweezers to make a zip and as soon as I did they busted out soon after..two actually busted out in my hand before I could put them back in and all are big healthy girls now and laying. I did wait though but only for maybe 8-9 hours before I helped them a bit because they were getting weaker and quieter.

I would definitely do it again. But that is me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by