how long to wait to see if fertile

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by IAEchickens, Jan 17, 2014.

1. IAEchickens

IAEchickens Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2014
    Nebraska
    Newbie here[​IMG]. This is our first time collecting eggs and hatching. I've seen pictures of the spot or bullseye on the yolk. My question is how long do you need to wait or incubate to see this spot? We have buff orpington pullets that are laying well. I'm not sure if our cockerl (BO) is up to snuff yet. I put the first set in the incubator Sun Morning. Now Fri evening. Thought I should be able to candle something by now.

Thanks in advance.

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I also set eggs Sun (in the evening, about 5:15), I candled yesterday. I couldn't help myself, but development was obvious. You'll be looking for veins around the air sac, clears and blood rings are bad.

If you're unsure, put them back in and check again in a few days. Good luck [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. howfunkyisurchicken

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Oh, and the only way to see that bullseye is to crack the egg open. If you're also eating their eggs, check the next time you have breakfast. It'll be a faint white spot on the yolk. Just a spot is infertile, a spot with a ring is good.

4. IAEchickens

Jan 11, 2014
    Nebraska
    So if you're going to crack an egg, how long after laid to wait. If I've been collecting and it's sat for 4 days at 60 degrees will the bullseye show or does it need to be warmer.

5. JDchicks

JDchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2012
    Southeast Alabama

This is a good site to help compare the stages of eggs development.

http://chat.allotment.org/index.php?topic=73884.0

1 person likes this.
  6. howfunkyisurchicken

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    You can crack and check whenever you'd like. I usually just put mine in the incubator and wait a few days then candle (don't want to waste them).
    With this hatch, I wasn't sure if my rooster was doing his job either. I've never seen him mount one of the hens correctly. He seems to hang too far off the back or is backwards. But, when I candled all was well.

Did you candle them yet?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  7. IAEchickens

Jan 11, 2014
    Nebraska
    Yes, I have candled them at 72 hrs and 96 hrs. I could not see any veins. (thats what had me worried.) I could see a dark mass. Last evening, I candled a fresh egg (learning) and it was clear (guess its supposed to be) so maybe we're okay? While I never saw the roo mount, all the hen appeared well ridden by the third day.

8. IAEchickens

Jan 11, 2014
    Nebraska
    The eggs look alot more like the pics in the above link, than they do aver in the sticky pages (thanks for that link) I'm not as worried as I was. Next set will go in tommorow AM.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by