How Long To Wait???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TarHeelBlue, Jan 27, 2011.

1. TarHeelBlue

TarHeelBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Yukon, Oklahoma
    How long do I wait before I give up on an egg? I am on day 21 for my first hatch EVER and so far nothing - but I don't know how long to give them before I take them out as a lost cause. I have opened my bator (not knowing that I wasn't supposed to) but I dont' think the humidity went down too far nor stayed down (I did see it dip in the 50's, but had added water to the sponge and well and it came right back up.)

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Most say they don't give up till day 25.

3. kvmommy

kvmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    I'd wait and/or do the water test, just for peace of mind.

4. TarHeelBlue

Jan 2, 2011
    Yukon, Oklahoma
    Water test????

5. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    I'd definitely wait until day 23. If your temp was too low and you didn't know if then they might be slower coming out - which is fine.

6. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
  7. Diamond Wire Farms

Diamond Wire Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    Placerville, CA
    Don't give up hope! Its your first hatch, so I'm sure there was some late stage candling. How did they look the last time you took a peek?

8. Mama2B&D&...Chickens

Mama2B&D&...Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Plant City, FL.
    I've got some on Day 23 i'm on pins and needles with two...6 others hatched and just 2 left under my momma...i cant give up hope though bc she was still sitting on them =/ one looks like its not as veiny as the other but the other looked like i might have saw blood flow or something? im just waiting a little longer...they all didnt start hatching till 2 nights ago.

9. TarHeelBlue

Jan 2, 2011
    Yukon, Oklahoma
    OH MY - almost wet my pants!! I have 3 eggs that have pipped. How long does it usually take for them to continue and break out of the shell. its been over an hour and so far, just the first break.

10. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    It can take up to 2 days from pip to hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by