How long to wait?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MaestrosMomma, Dec 2, 2011.

1. MaestrosMomma

MaestrosMomma Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2010
    I need some advice here please:

I am hatching 7 eggs with my broody hen. Yesterday was day 21, only one egg hatched the chick looks great. No action from the rest. I just read how I shouldn't candle them at this point, so how long would you wait before crying, umm...I mean giving up? I got them from my pet chicken, never did before so I am unsure of their hatch rate.

Thank you!
    Oh and is there anything I can do now to tell if they are chicks in those eggs?????

2. kchristie77

kchristie77 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2011
    New Jersey
    My silkies hatched out 2 chicks on Tues night and today-Friday there are 2 more. They aren't giving up so I am leaving the eggs for a while. Its so cute, my 2 hens are completely sharing the nest and the babies. What a treat to watch. Good luck!

3. MaestrosMomma

Jul 11, 2010
    It is amazing, I love it! Two hens sharing the same nest with chicks is great! Did you take pics? Congrats on your new chicks, mine are silkies too. I think they are great.

I just checked again and picked up 2 eggs and listened, didn't hear anything [​IMG] Keeping my fingers crossed. Thinking of bringing some material out to place in the box but worried the chicks might get tangled. I have a heat lamp on them plus momma hen sitting. It's going to be terribly cold out tonight. I did pick up my one new chick and checked for pasty butt, none but what a doll she is, sooo tiny [​IMG] I'm in love [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  4. MaestrosMomma

Jul 11, 2010
    bump....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by