How Long Toss Eggs post Ivermectin?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by OrpingtonHopeful, Jun 1, 2010.

1. OrpingtonHopeful

OrpingtonHopeful Songster

May 17, 2009
    Ok, after reading tons of posts about worming, I tried it with Wazine in the gals' water followed 14 days later by Ivermectin (6cc of the 1% injectible/gal water) in their water for 2 days.

First off, do you think this will make for a successful worming?

and Second: How long do I discard the eggs for before we can get back to enjoying them?

Thanks all!

2. smith2

smith2 Songster

Jan 5, 2008
    Paris, TN
    OK, this is what I have found out about ivermectin. Yes, it definitely works. The egg withdrawal periods are different on different internet sites. The UK lists 14 days for egg and 28 days for meat if you are using plain ivermectin generic. The Brits are pretty conservative in their approaches to animals and I like that. However, my vet says that ivermectin does not affect humans at all because the action of the drug on parasites does not work on humans because we don't metabolize the drug the same way. That is not to say you could not have a reaction to the drug or get sick from the drug if you ingested too much of it or drank it. But, she says that there is not enough in eggs or in chicken meat to cause humans any problems with normal doses. She recommends Eprinex because it is a little less caustic to the birds system and is used in dairy cattle with no withdrawal times. I use the Eprinex and my birds do not have mite or lice problems in general. You do have to treat about every 3-4 weeks to keep them clean. I don't withdraw eggs or meat and have not had any problems. If I were using plain ivermectin, I would probably wait the 14/28 days or use it only in non-laying pullets. Hope this helps a little.

3. OrpingtonHopeful

OrpingtonHopeful Songster

May 17, 2009
    Quote:This totally helps!! Thank you so much for your help on both of my posts today!

I am excited because it has been 15 days so this means we should be good to go again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by