How long until a cockerel crows?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mpgo4th, Aug 3, 2013.

1. mpgo4th

mpgo4th Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    I have a RIR cockerel that is 9 weeks old today. He is growing nicely and has beautiful long saddle feathers. His baby wing spots are going away and he's starting to get deep red/mohagany in color. At what age do they start crowing? I can't wait.

2. wasntme

wasntme Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2013
    Spring Hill, FL
    Mine is 12 weeks old. Mine started crowing about 3 weeks ago. It was a pathetic crow in the beginning. Very entertaining and hilarious. [​IMG]
    Yours will probably start any day now. Mine crows at 6:50 AM and then again at 6:30 PM. He's very calculated. lol After 3 weeks of practice, his crow is better but not complete. I even felt the need to listen to other Australorp crows on YouTube just to see if anyone elses crows like mine! ha! Someone's 6 week old was crowing just like my roo. Made me feel better! Maybe soon he will do the full cockadoodledoo! He does cockadoo. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  3. Roan

Roan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    West Virginia, U.S.A.
    Aww so my little Americaunas aren't chicken prodigy? :( They started crowing at just around 30 days old. I had never heard a rooster crow that young before but I guess it's not so uncommon. lol

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    About 12+ weeks is when they usually start crowing.

5. MonicaAndHer6

MonicaAndHer6 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2013
    Good news 17 weeks no crowing. I am a little suspicious that my rir are roosters. One who is darker maroon does a prolonged noise like rawraaaaaarrrawwwraaaawwwraaaaa. And I think is this a practice crow or does she got a big mouth

6. MonicaAndHer6

MonicaAndHer6 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2013
    [​IMG]

7. wasntme

wasntme Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2013
    Spring Hill, FL
    Turned out my silkie mix was acting suspicious at about 19 weeks. By 21 weeks my she was indeed a he....he cockadoodle doo'ed! I posted a pic of my silkie here on BackyardChickens and everyone said he was indeed a cockerel but I was still in denial - until he crowed! So, I guess they can start crowing at any time! LOL Has yours started crowing yet?

8. Katt66

Katt66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Barnesville, PA
    I had one EE rooster start crowing at around five weeks. And two others who crowed at six weeks. On the one who crowed at five weeks, his one hatchmate STILL hasn't crowed, despite some gorgeous saddle and hackle feathers coming in and lovely sickle tail feathers starting to sprout. Their other hatchmate only crows first thing in the morning if I don't feed them before I open the coop door. He's literally singing for his breakfast I suppose. And they are 14 weeks old now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by