How long until Brahma rooster matures?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by peeboo, Oct 30, 2008.

1. peeboo

peeboo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    fort bragg nc
    He is very large and still getting bigger but i don't see any evidence of spurs yet and he hasn't courted any of my ladies, hasn't crowed once and he's at that age where he's awkwardly trying to bully my girls around. He was hatched in...May. He has all his beautiful feathers from what i can see also and he is much bigger than his sister.

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Ive read that they dont reach their full size for up to 2 years.

3. peeboo

Apr 9, 2008
    fort bragg nc
    lol man i had no idea. He's already a monster.

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I know, the roosters are huge.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Depends. There are differences in individual roosters and differences in hatchery stock vs. breeders stock.
    My alpha roo has been trying the mating thing since he was about 10 weeks old. He crowed around twelve weeks. My dark brahma subordinate roo was much later to develop. He's more to brahma "type" than my alpha, yet he's also 1/3 again as big as my alpha.
    Spurs come later. My roos are almost 7 months and only one is showing signs of them developing.
    Here's my sub. roo at about 6 months:

[​IMG]

My alpha looks pretty much the same in body type, just a bit smaller.

6. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

my brahmas got there slower then my others,,, shoot my BIG 1 we thought was a hen till he was 6 months old lol.

7. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I know my Light Brahma rooster was mating around 7 or 8 months old but he didn't get his spurs til 10 or 11 months.

8. peeboo

Apr 9, 2008
    fort bragg nc
    oh man. yeah, i thought i just had one super fat hen for the longest time until he started getting his man feathers lol. that's about the size of my roo right now gritsar...he's about 5 mos old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by