How Long Until Eggs Get Bigger?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JP33, Jan 24, 2010.

1. JP33

JP33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Southeast, Louisiana
    One of my hens, B.O., has been laying very small eggs for about two weeks now. All are just about the same exact size. They are very small, not odd shaped, just plum dang small. I have gotten perhaps a dozen & a half like this.

Could she just be a smaller than normal small egg layer or could they at some point get larger? One of my EEs layed small eggs its first 4 or 5 eggs but the eggs are much larger now.

So tell me what you have experienced & your thoughts please.

Thanks!

...JP

2. JP33

Nov 14, 2009
    Southeast, Louisiana
    bump, thank you.

3. nsanywhere

nsanywhere Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    It can take up to a month of laying before you see full sized eggs.

4. JP33

Nov 14, 2009
    Southeast, Louisiana
    Quote:Not that I'm against the small eggs, I guess I could get used to 'em but prefer larger eggs. Thanks for the feedback.

...JP

5. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Remeber hens are all diffrent and it could be that she is that way.

6. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    Well I have been weighing my eggs for over two months. Back then when I started I had a couple that started laying when 20 weeks old and had been laying for 4 months I guess. Most of mine were eithe Med or between med and large and a few were large. Now I have eggs from those that are out of moult and they are laying large. many that have yet to go thru first moult are still laying between med and large. Now I am feeding a 20% protien feed plus they totally free range all day. For a heave breed like BO i would not be feeding anything less than 18% protien. Feather, muscle and eggs are made with protien.

7. chooniecat

chooniecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    central ohio
    both of my BO's had small eggs for appx. a month. now they're big and beautiful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by