how long until feathers grow back?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MommyMagpie, Oct 2, 2011.

1. MommyMagpie

MommyMagpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Salem/Jarvisville, WV
    We just got four Cochin pullets, three of which have bald rumps from a feather pulling dominant pullet. We cleaned them up and applied Blu-Kote, and are giving yogurt as a supplement since I read that this may be caused by a need for more protein. How long until we can expect to see feathers growing back?

2. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

1 to 2 months some even take 3.[​IMG]

3. MommyMagpie

MommyMagpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Salem/Jarvisville, WV
    Thanks! I was hoping it would not be quite so long, but it is what it is, I guess. Would it be ok to begin integrating them with our established hens before then (assuming the quarantine period doesn't turn up any other problems)? They will be housed separately until spring, because I didn't anticipate doubling our flock quite so soon, but they will all free range together.

And on the subject of quarantine, how long should this be? And should I introduce the new singleton GLW first, then start integrating the Cochins, or what? The GLW is maybe 5 weeks and we are not sure whether it is a pullet or not; the Cochins are I think almost 4 months old, and our established hens are 2 RSL who are 2+ years and 2 RSL who are 6 months.

As soon as I get decent pics of the GLW I will post pics in the What Gender Am I section to get opinions. It was sold to us as an indeterminate sex bird. It is about half the size of the Cochins, who are a bit smaller than the RSL and then there are those purple rumps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by