How long until i can consume her eggs?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by krista74, Dec 28, 2014.

1. krista74

krista74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    I have a chicken whom this morning presented with a raspy wheeze. I immediately took her to the vet and she was prescribed Oxytetracycline Soluable Powder to add to her drinking water.

Unfortunately, I forgot to ask the vet what the safe withholding period is for egg consumption with this drug.

Off the top of your heads, does anyone know?

Thanks in advance,

- Krista

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Oxytetracycline (Pfizer) is also know as Terramycin, Agrimycin, Duramycin, and Oxytet.
    There is a 21 day withdrawal period after the last dosing of Duramycin. Therefore it would be the same with Oxytetracycline.

3. krista74

krista74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    Thanks @dawg53

I wonder, can I feed the eggs back to the hens as scrambled eggs or is it unfit for them too? ie: Would I then have to discard their eggs as well?

How unfortunate. It would have to be one of my better layers, wouldn't it? Even yesterday, when she was wheezing so loud I could hear her from inside the house, she still laid me an egg!

Speaking of that....I can't hear her now. I had better go outside and check that she is still 'with us.'

Thanks again dawg. I knew YOU would know the answer, and even when I posted my question originally I thought "I wonder if @dawg53 will respond!"

- Krista

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by