How long until I remove rest of eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ilovechickens, Nov 2, 2008.

1. ilovechickens

ilovechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2008
    West Central Wisconsin
    I am sorry to keep on bothering you people, but I don't know where to go for help. My first chick was hatched on October 31st, with 5 more eggs still to be hatched by Patience (The Hen) . I named her that since I have no patience. She has been sitting on those eggs for at least 23 days, possibly more. She could of taken other eggs also. I went out this morning to let the chickens out and checked her, still no more babies. Her little one came out from under mama and took a drink and ran back under her for warmth. I don't have a incubator except for living breathing ones. They were candled last night and 4 of the 5 are moving. I don't want to risk losing the little one for 5 that might not hatch.[​IMG] what to do:idunno They are outside in the coop in their own little cage with water and food in front of the mama so she will eat and show the little one how to eat and drink. Yikes

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Mom will get off the nest when she gives up. As long as the little one comes out to eat and drink I would let mom sit until she's ready to give up.

3. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    She should keep sitting for about 2-3 days since the last baby hatched !! You could take the baby away from her in till the rest hatch and then give him/her back, that would keep her sitting on the nest !! It all depends on what you want to do... If you want to give the others a chance you could try that !! If you just want nature to take its course leave them alone and see how long she stays on them !! If you see movement in the eggs when they candle thats a good sign !! Was most of the egg dark ??

4. ilovechickens

Jun 14, 2008
    West Central Wisconsin
    Yes, most of the eggs were dark, there seemed to be large air pockets though on a couple of them, and on a couple of them not so large. I don't know what that means.

5. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    If the eggs were dark and you saw a "blob" and the air sac that means the eggs are pretty far along, When did the other chick hatch out ??

6. ilovechickens

Jun 14, 2008
    West Central Wisconsin
    The first chick hatched Friday. So there is a span between them.[​IMG]

7. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    yah im guessing she will be getting off the nest sometime soon to take care of the chick !! Like I said before you could take this one chick away to see if any of the other eggs hatch and then give him back to her.... Or when she leaves the nest you could try to hatch the rest yourself and give those chicks to her.... You could try a heat lamp over a bowl/box with a bowl of water for hum.

8. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    The chick will be fine til the rest hatch out. If it's went out to get a drink, just keep chick starter and a waterer close to momma hen. It knows when to get back to momma for warmth. Not all eggs under a broody hatch out at the same time or day/ The hen will get up when she feels her hatch it over. I've had lots of chicks hatch out go get food and water and go right back to momma while she is still setting on her clutch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by