1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long until I should get fertilized eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CluksNDucks, Feb 28, 2016.

1. CluksNDucks

CluksNDucks Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2016
    Naselle, WA
    I added a Roo to my girls close to a month ago and have grabbed a few eggs and stuck them in the incubator. None of my hens have seemed broody at all, in fact one doesn't lay at all (I think she was older than I was told she was because she's also a huge bird). I candled the eggs I'm testing as it's day 7 but am not sure I'm seeing anything promising. The girls love him and i know ive seen him mount a few of them several times. Thoughts?

2. nchls school

nchls school Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015

The eggs should be fertile by now. Post a picture of the candled image if you can. What breed do you have? Many breeds no longer have the broody instinct as that trait has been bred out of them so they lay more eggs.

1 person likes this.
  3. CluksNDucks

Feb 6, 2016
    Naselle, WA
    I will try to get a photo. I've got a Barred Rock, an Australorpe, a Barred Rock/Marans, a Silver and a Golden Laced Wyandotte. My Roo is a Barred Rock/Ameraucana

4. CluksNDucks

Feb 6, 2016
    Naselle, WA
    In case that's confusing I've got both a Silver and a Golden Laced Wyandotte. The Golden is the one that I don't think is laying.

5. nchls school

nchls school Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015
    At the top of this page is a box marked "breeds". It will tell you ifthe breeds you have will go broody.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Might tell you what breeds are likely to go broody....but no guarantees there, it's an individual thing.

Have you looked at blastocell on the yolks when you break eggs to eat?
    This thread shows a plethora of examples of fertile and non-fertile yolks:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/16008/how-to-tell-a-fertile-vs-infertile-egg-pictures

7. CluksNDucks

Feb 6, 2016
    Naselle, WA
    I tried to get photos, can't as they don't really show much more than a lit up egg. Lol I can say though that there certainly does seem to be a mass that doesn't allow light to pass through so I'm thinking they're fertile. Yay! I can post a photo of a cracked egg even though it's about a week old and has been in the fridge.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  8. CluksNDucks

Feb 6, 2016
    Naselle, WA
    Thanks, I posted my above post before reading this one. I will have to try a fresh egg to see if it's fertile.

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

10. CluksNDucks

Feb 6, 2016
    Naselle, WA
    So, I only have 4 chickens eggs in the bator as a test. 2 of which are I believe from my Marans and it's tough to see inside but they are the same age as the other two which are also brown but I can see into them. Only 1 of the 4 I can actually see an embryo moving around...and it's awesome! [​IMG]But the others I just see a large spot that doesn't seem to be moving around. But I'll give it another week or so and see if anything develops. BUT the one with an embryo tells me that I do have fertile eggs at least.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by