1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long until muscovy hen leaves her babies?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jdywntr, Jan 26, 2013.

1. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    So, I've had ducklings hatch out before but due to many things (moving etc), I've never had them for more than 6-8 weeks.

How long can I expect my current mom to remain with her, now 6 week old, ducklings? She still sleeps on the floor of the coop with them and tries to referee the little drakelings arguements. She still gets upset when I come too close. I did catch her in the nest yesterday pulling in more nesting material but I'm pretty sure she hasn't started laying yet.

I know if I take ducklings away, then mom will go back to laying quicker but I want all of my birds to be able to brood and raise their own.

Except, for the now 3, little boogers who are feather picking who are sleeping in the garage and have a daytime pen. [​IMG] Annoying little boogers (all drakelings who are picking at the ducklings) making me work harder. :)

2. Valntyn

Valntyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2012
    Central Maine
    My only experience thus far (we've only had one hatching) found the mama staying with her 'babies' until they were in their teens. *chuckle* I don't think I'll be much help answering. [​IMG]

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Can the drake be with her? that will usually start the process of weaning that so sweet my girls have never stayed with their ducklings that long 3 weeks at the most.

4. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Wow, 3 weeks. Mom and babies have had the ability to come and go from the coop and the brooder I set up for them in it for about 1 month. Dad goes off with the other girls to the creek or to wander about. Mom keeps the babies relatively close to the coop and the fenced run (there is a small door in the fence so that the birds can go out to range) she takes them out for a bit to range but I don't think they've gone as far as the woods yet, thats where the creek is.

Maybe its the weather? We had a week of rain (all day long, every day 2 weeks ago) and have had freezing temps and snow.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  5. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Any other ideas on when she'll leave them? She is very protective still.

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Sounds to me like your just going to have to be patient . She is one good mama congrats.

7. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Thanks again Miss Lydia.
    I don't care that she is still with them but I kind of feel bad for her. Its like she's missing out on foraging, swimming in the creek, etc. She rarely even gets in the kiddie pool to bathe. She's looking a bit of a mess, I don't know if its from sleeping on the ground or if its from protecting her babies (who are almost her size) from everyone, me the 18 chickens, the other ducks, the dogs.

I'd think I'd want a break from baby duty after 24/7 for 6.5 weeks. [​IMG] I've thought about scooting her out with the other adults and locking up the babies but I know they'd peep their little heads off and she'd freak out not being able to get to them. But, I guess I'd rather this than a bad mom. [​IMG]

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Yes be thankful, when she has had enough and feels they are ready to be on their own, she'll let them know. You'd think she'd be ready to send them on their way. I have never had a mama duck stay that long with their ducklings.

9. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    LOL

Today for the first time, some of the ducklings stayed behind when mom took everyone out. Later, during a rain shower, mom had everyone inside and some came out in the yard without her. Maybe they are going to leave the nest before she kicks them out. [​IMG] It was mostly drakelets that did things without her, only 1 ducklet. Hmmm.

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG] It's a start. she must have empty nest syndrome. Maybe some counseling would help. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by