How long until my girls are back to normal?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by puss58, Aug 9, 2011.

1. puss58

puss58 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2010
    Union Vale, NY
    We had a horrible experience two weeks ago. Chickens were out free ranging and a fox came along. Six out of fourteen chickens were killed. Now the girls that are left are barely producing. If I get one/two eggs a day it's a lot. I understand stress can affect them but any ideas how long until they're back in action?

Thanks,
    Carol

2. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Keep them penned up for a while in a run. Mine never stay that upset that long, but if they are, they should feel more secure in their run. But it might be something else. how is the heat? Is there a chance they are laying somewhere else? That is the number one problem I have with free ranging chickens, if I have a sudden decrease in egg production or is something else eating your eggs? Locking them in the run for a few days might fix those problems too.

MrsK

3. puss58

puss58 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2010
    Union Vale, NY
    They're penned up all the time now. I figure I'll wait until sometime in the middle of September before I let them out again. I would think the fox kits would be big enough to hunt for mice and voles on their own by then.

I guess it's the combination of the trauma and the heat that's keeping them from laying right now. Now that I think about it more, they really haven't eaten much of their feed. Mostly they look forward to the vegetables and grasses I've given them.

They aren't laying anywhere else and I don't think anything else is eating the eggs either.

It's just sad any way you look at it.

Thanks for your help!
    Carol

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by