How long until they figure out the food is inside now?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by FisherPal, May 22, 2010.

1. FisherPal

FisherPal New Egg

May 21, 2010
    Hmm ... we've only had these girls for a week and, up until today, I've had their food outside in the coop with them. However, last night found a 'lovely' big raccoon happily munching away on what was left of the dog crunchies on the back porch. Yikes!! The girls are safely locked up at night but quickly figured out that I'd better move their food inside and leave it there. Now, as pretty as these babes are, they aren't the sharpest tacks, right? I've tried throwing some crumbles out their door to lure them inside, tried picking a couple up and actually placing them right in front of the feeder (to which they immediately made a bee line back outside not being bed time yet). I don't know enough about chickens yet to know when you have to worry about them not eating. They had treats throughout the day, of course. A couple of shovels of compost complete with lots of worms. some veggies and chicken scratch. Do you think they will get with the 'real' food program pretty quick though? Man I hate this 'newbie' thing, lol.

2. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    There isn't a thing to worry about. If they see it once they won't forget. They just want the good stuff first just like you and me. Even the toughest of problems seem to get solved within a day or so. Get a cup of your favorite beverage, a chair in the shade and watch nature work. It is remarkable!

3. FisherPal

FisherPal New Egg

May 21, 2010
    Thanks for your answer, Crooked. They have improved so much in this past week from their appearance when we first got them that I didn't want to jeopardize that. And actually my DH and I did set up chairs in front of the coop the other day ... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by