1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long until they get comfortable?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Hamptons06, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Hamptons06

Hamptons06 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2009
    North Atlanta
    I've only had these chickens a week.... both just barely a year old. They are still testing the waters with me and don't really want me to pick them up much. Ruby (RIR) seems to be the most curious about me and will come over to me all the time. They were handled a lot by their previous owner so I know they are generally very friendly. Any idea how long it will take for them to get used to me and allow me to cuddle with them?? [​IMG]

2. Paganbird

Paganbird CrescentWood Farm

Apr 25, 2009
    Western Pa
    I would try to handle them more, if they were handled a lot by their previous owner.
    When they are getting ready to go in to roost for the night, just pick them up, hold them, and talk to them a bit.
    If you're waiting for them to approach you, you could be waiting a while. Just step up and let them know that they'll be okay if you pick them up and carry them around. After several days, they should start squatting when you come around so you can pet them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by