1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long until they lay again?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by animalsRawesome, Oct 6, 2011.

1. animalsRawesome

animalsRawesome Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    How long after a duck goes broody and hatches her eggs will she start to lay again? Thanks!!

2. silky_3699

silky_3699 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    My Own Realm!!!
    when her babies grow up and she is finished with them, then after a while she will start laying.

3. animalsRawesome

Apr 12, 2011
    Okay, Thanks silky_3699! So if I let her hatch them, but then took her ducklings away, she would start laying sooner, right? Thanks!!!

4. silky_3699

silky_3699 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    My Own Realm!!!
    Quote:Umm, do you want to do that? i would leave them with her until about 6 weeks...

5. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    I let my Muscovy hen raise hers for 3-4 weeks. Once I took the babies away, she started laying about 2 weeks later. She was very unhappy and grouchy for a few days when I took them, but she got over it and started to build up her nesting spot again.
    If you take them away right off, give her a week or two before expecting her to lay again. Plus it depends on the season and the weather where you live. I am in Maine and it's already down into the 30-40s at night. I have one hen left sitting on eggs (due in a week), but the rest of them stopped laying in September. If it gets cold where you are, she might not lay again until spring (depending on the breed of duck you are talking about too).

6. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    If the eggs were important to me, I wouldn't allow her to set.

I'd take the eggs and put them in an incubator to keep her laying. It's getting closer to winter and the days are shorter. Unless you keep her under lights, she may be done until spring, no matter what you do with the ducklings.

7. animalsRawesome

Apr 12, 2011
    Okay. Thank you everybody!! And I guesse I should have said in the origional post, I mainly want them for eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by