How Long Until They Lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Disa, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Disa

Disa Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2013
    Hello, I just purchased six hens (2 RIR, 2 Barred Rocks and 2 Golden Comets) and the seller said they were about 8 months old and he had taken them off layer feed because he didn't want to mess with eggs this winter. He also said they'd start laying again if I gave put them back on layer feed.

They arrived at my house on Saturday and I started feeding them the layer pellets immediately. Realistically, how soon should I expect them to start laying again? Is there a "reboot" period?

Thanks!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] There is indeed a 'reboot' period. Chickens hate change ; therefore, they have to adapt to their new environment and the change in feed. Daylength is starting to increase so that will help in the process, but it may be a matter of a couple of months before they resume laying.

3. Disa

Disa Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2013
    Awwwww...sad. I was hoping for an answer that was more along the lines of "a week or so".

Oh well...at least I won't have to worry about eggs freezing in the nest boxes before I get home from work! [​IMG]

Thanks!

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Then again it may be a week or so. [​IMG] They are living creatures with the vagaries common to all.

5. CoopDeViIIe

CoopDeViIIe Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2012
    So he told you they won't lay at all unless they are eating layer pellets? That seems a bit strange.

6. Disa

Disa Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2013
    Well, what he said was something along the lines of: I don't like messing with eggs so I haven't fed them any layer feed. If you put them on layer feed they should start laying...I'm paraphrasing. He said they are about 8 months old...the RIRs are younger, their combs are not very developed yet. Basically, he's a guy that likes raising chicks but doesn't like messing with adult birds.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  7. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    They won't be laying until there is at least 12 hours of daylight either.

8. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    keep feeding your girls layer feed. They will need the extra calcium when they do start laying. The guy should have been feeding his laying hens, and any pullets old enough to lay the layer feed. Oyster shell with help also, plus feeding any eggshells you may have around after eating store eggs.

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Okay, feeding your hens layer feed does not cause them to lay, or help them lay more eggs. Basically, it has added calcium for thicker shells. Taking them off layer food did not cause them to stop laying and putting them back on will not cause them to start. They may just need an adjustment period, or the change combined with the short days may keep them from laying until spring.

10. skinnychick

skinnychick New Egg

Jan 9, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by