How long until turn off bator? Day 23....24....25?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mjolly, Jul 20, 2008.

1. mjolly

mjolly Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2008
    How long do you typically wait after a hatch to determine when it is time to turn off the bator. I am on day 22 and still have 4 really good potential eggs to hatch yet.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I may give them till the beginning of Day 23, if I think my values have been too low during incubation, but that's very rare. If they aren't out by Day 22's end, I pip to see if they're alive. It's rare that they are, in my experience. I know some say they've had Day 24-25 hatches, but I wont let mine go that long. I dont want to encourage late hatching, in general. That's just me.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2008
  3. mjolly

Apr 7, 2008
    That's what I wondered. I may pip the egg to peek inside tonight (end of Day 22) or tomorrow morning Day 23.

Still hoping for the best!

Thanks

4. speckledhen

Hope they're okay in there!

5. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    open it at the top so u dont cause bleeding, look and check for breathing

6. mjolly

Apr 7, 2008
    They are all dead, fully developed. From the look of it, they stopped developing just a day or so ago. Maybe they did not adjust to the higher humidity? They were so close. I wonder why they did not make it? It is so sad and frustrating at the same time. Hoping I can figure out what went wrong. I don't want to repeat it again next time.

Any thoughts?

Marva

7. speckledhen

I on occasion have one or two like that, too. Hard to say when some hatch just fine and a couple dont. Could be a genetic weakness in that chick or just anything. If your humidity is good and temp is fine, probably just something with those particular chicks. Sorry about the ones that didnt make it.

8. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I just had the same thing happen to me, I too think the humidity at the end wasn't necessary. Mine seemed very "wet". I dry incubated but I think the extra humidity at the end was the culprit. Good luck on you next hatch!
    Krista

9. mjolly

Apr 7, 2008
    Thanks, as sad as it was, I am encouraged to try again.

10. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Quote:This is good to know. I too dry incubate and I just pumped the humidity for my last three days. Maybe I'll just take some of that water out. I really believe the culprit for most bad hatches is too much humidity.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by