How long until you give up on the unhatched ones?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tracylhl, Sep 11, 2010.

1. tracylhl

tracylhl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Myakka City, Florida
    I set my eggs the evening 21 days ago. So I'm exactly 21 days right about now. I have one that seemed stuck (piece of wing sticking out, no sign of anything else) after having peeped for 36 hrs. He's out of his egg now (with help) but can't seem to stand up (after 3 hours) and hasn't opened his eyes. Can't even get his legs under him. I'm not feeling too good about it. But then I have 7 other eggs due to hatch today. I was feeling pretty confident about at least 3 others. One was rocking and chirping like crazy last night. Now there's no movement or sounds from anyone but the sickly one who's hatched. I know I need to give them another day or so (especially considering I suspect my humidity was probably low) but at what point to you say goodbye and start over with a new batch? *sigh* I'm feeling very very defeated in my first incubation attempt. [​IMG]

* I should add that we had at least one or two mild to moderate temp drops along the way also. I don't know if that means to expect longer incubation or if it means I'm just out of luck and killed them.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  2. mrslb333

mrslb333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Leave them till about day 24 some take a few days longer but if any start to smell take them out immediately as they could pop. The other little one should pick up soon by tomorrow it'll be fine hopefully [​IMG]

3. tracylhl

May 20, 2009
    Myakka City, Florida
    Thanks! You're a great support. You've been answering lots of my questions!

4. mrslb333

mrslb333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    No problem [​IMG] You seem to have the the same problems I've had. It gets easier with practice [​IMG]

5. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Mrslb333 is right, leave them for at least another 24 hours. In fact as long as nothing gets smelly I'd be inclined to wait a day or so extra since you say you had some temp. drops. You can still have a good hatch even if your temps. ran a little low, but hatch will usually be delayed for a day or two.

I had the opposite prob. with my first attempt. My temps were a degree or so high and when I went to put the eggs in cartons for lockdown I discoverd pips in some of them. I quickly raised the humidity and closed everything up. I thought for sure I'd killed them all by messing with things while the hatch was in progress, but I ended up with a 90% hatch rate and everyone was healthy and happy even though they were all out by the end of day 19. Best of luck and don't give up hope just yet.

ETA: I think I need new glasses, you said day 24 not 24 hours. Good advice, don't give up on them yet.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  6. Payette

Payette Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2010
    Earth
    Maybe if you start a new batch, you could just have one of your hens hatch the eggs for you. MUCH easier than incubating! [​IMG]

7. tracylhl

May 20, 2009
    Myakka City, Florida
    That would be great if I had one that was broody. I don't seem to have any with that propensity.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by