How long until...

Stormhorse23

Songster
12 Years
Aug 22, 2007
Indiana
I saw my silkie boy um...enjoying the company of my Brahma pullet. She is laying but not very often. How long until the eggs are fertile. She lays on the ground and its really cold here. Would they even have a chance if I tried to incubate them or bring my hen that sits on anything in to care for them? Oh, and the Brahma pullet was very cooperative with Peter.
roll.png
. Young Love. Maybe They will be teenage parents!!!
wee.gif
. haha. who gets excited about that? ME!

If she just started laying give her until spring to incubate the eggs. Neighbor of mine told me not to incubate the new layers eggs right away, theres a chance they arent fertile, and the babies could have deformities I guess.

Quote:
I believe that the deformities are a result of a pullet egg not being large enough to hold a full size chick.

Really? I didn't think of that! Another question!

Is there a way to make a homemade incubator without buying a whole bunch. Like say...could you use a heat lamp really really close? What about humidity?

My Great Grandma use to hatch out chicken eggs in a wooden box with an old lamp for the heat and a bowl of water for humidity. Her brooder was one her lower kitchen cabinet.

It use to work for her. I am sure you can give it a try I would think that the humidity would be hard to get up to the right levels for the end of the hatch?

Stormhorse23 asked Is there a way to make a homemade incubator without buying a whole bunch. Like say...could you use a heat lamp really really close? What about humidity?

MissPrissy has posted numerous types. She can make an incubator out of about anything
lol.png

Do a search and I'm sure you'll find all the ideas you want. The object of the bator is to control temp and humidity anything you can use to do that will work to some degree. The more exacting you get with the components the more accurate your temps and humidity will be; and the more success you will have. You could probably hatch an eggs in a damp heating pad. It may take 1000 eggs to do it, but it is possible. To make a decent bator you need about $20 worth of parts and a few tools. Check out what MissPrissy has done and you'll see what I mean.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom