How long will 30 chicks be comfy in a 16sq ft coop with a 80sq ft run?

Kelly G

Crowing
15 Years
Mar 19, 2008
Tampa (Wesley Chapel), Florida
My Coop
My Coop
My chicks are currently 3 and 4 weeks old, and are in my Lowe's Playhouse coop with a fenced-in/roofed-in run, and has hareware cloth burried 12" around the perimeter. They are as safe as they can possibly be in there.

The girls have bigger digs waiting for them....but the "big girl" run doesn't have a roof (it's 50'x50' and fenced in with 8' tall chain link fence) over it to protect them...so I want to wait as long as possible before I put them in there.

So how long do you think the 30 girls will be comfortable in a 16' coop with 80' run?

I'm not sure how I can suspend wire across the 50'x50' expanse out there...but I have thought about it.

I have taken some precautions like Busch Gardens has done at their place - I have run fishing line about 18" apart across the top...and I've hung cd's from them as well - and so far my 5 big girls have been okay in there.

I'm listening, though, and am open to suggestions.

We built a frame like window frames except much larger and attached chicken wire to them. I have a 48x11 feet run with the top covered. You can also buy nylon bird netting and put it over a frame. Jean

Back
Top Bottom