How long will a 50 lb bag of layer feed last!?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kidcallous, May 20, 2010.

1. kidcallous

kidcallous Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    Central Florida
    I completed step one of becoming a mother hen. I bought all the 2x4's and fencing and chicken wire.

My question for today is this: I plan on having 3 - 4 standard sized chickens, leaning toward barred rocks and rhode island reds to start. No more than 4 chickens.

How long will a 50 lb bag of layer feed last for 3 or 4 chickens? I plan to give them our leftover vegetables/rice after dinner, and let them free range for about an hour in the late afternoon. What do you think??

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    ok I don't know for sure since I have nearly 200 chickens and go through 8 to 9 bags of feed every 2 weeks so I would say 1 bag for 4 birds maybe 3 weeks [​IMG]

3. TipsyDog

TipsyDog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    Aregua, Paraguay
    I think you could get 4 to 6 weeks once they are full grown. Mine free range all day and they eat much less feed.

Disclosure: I am not basing the above on any facts, just my guess...

Last edited: May 20, 2010
  4. jennh

jennh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Lititz
    It really depends on whether you let your girls free range or not. When they free range, they find alot of their food themselves. I have 11 full grown hens, and I go through a 50 lb bag in about a month, sometimes longer. But then, mine free range from midafternoon til dark.

Jen

5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:I have 4 hens, but I freerange all day and make them a large salad every night. I go through only 2-3 bags a year, excepting the last bag. I left the lid off the can and I think a squirrel ate about 25 lbs, in about 6 weeks. [​IMG]
    I know someone who has 25 hens, and goes through a 50 lb bag a week plus scratch.

Imp- lives in giant squirrel land. [​IMG]

6. DTRM30

DTRM30 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Mine free range for a few hours a day most days - but do spend a lot of time in their pen. They only get to free range when I'm home - in case a dog or otherwise gets into the yard - I'll be able to minimize the damage.

Anyway - I had figured it out for another thread - and mine go through about 1/4 lb of feed per bird per day. I have full grown mix f breeds.

7. kidcallous

May 14, 2010
    Central Florida
    I have been fiddling around on the site while waiting for some responses.

I really like the idea of feeding less grain, and allowing them to forage more. I plan to have 4 tops chickens in an 8x8 run...hopefully there will be enough ants and bettles traveling through while i'm at work for the day... I will only really be able to let them free range for about 2 hours a day, when I get home from work.

I have read some posts about people planting out trays of rye seed or other "sprouters" o supplement the girls' diets. Apparently the seeds grow within a few days, and once sprouted, the girls will eat the green and the seed husk that's still attached.

I JUST convinced my husband to let me do this. His quote: "These chickenns better pay for themselves in eggs" [​IMG]

8. kidcallous

May 14, 2010
    Central Florida
    Oh and one more thing - we have a vegetable garden at the moment... When we've harvested all of the crops, can we feed the plants to the girls?
    We have
    Tomatoes
    Watermelons
    Butternut Squash
    Radishes
    Basil
    Thyme
    Peas
    Cucumbers
    Pablano peppers
    If they can eat the plants once they have given their last fruit - well, even better!

9. jennh

jennh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Lititz
    Kidcallous wrote

I JUST convinced my husband to let me do this. His quote: "These chickenns better pay for themselves in eggs"

The only way I got my chickens was to promise my DH that I wouldn't get any more inside cats. I had four, but had to put 2 down within a month. I said "You got a deal".
    I still have 2 inside cats, one 14, and one 19. I had always told him I HAVE to have chickens before I die [​IMG]

Jen

10. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by