how long will a broody set.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bucky52, Sep 28, 2012.

1. bucky52

bucky52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    i had a pullet that went broody 28 days ago.(i have no rooster)i did find some fertile eggs for her five days after she started setting.she has been setting on fertile eggs for 22 days.i have a gut feeling these eggs are not going to hatch.i'am worried because she has been broody for so long.i'am going to wait for a couple more days to see if her eggs are going to hatch if not i will remove them.will she finally give up.i do pull her off her nest two times aday to eat and drink.she seems weak.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Did you candle the eggs to see if they're developing? If they're not going to hatch see if you can find some day-old chicks somewhere for her to raise. Then at least she wouldn't have sat for nothing.

3. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    As to the original question, how long will they set, I've had one set for two months. I put food and water so she can eat/drink on the nest and a divider so the others can't steal it or lay more eggs in that nest. Course this also means I have to get her out every day WITHOUT FAIL so she can poop.

IF you have no rooster I don't see how that hen's eggs are going to hatch. And just so you know, they will go broody even with no eggs at all. They'll sit on fake eggs and golf balls, even a rock. It's hormones doing it.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  4. bucky52

Apr 26, 2011
    My dh nephew gave me some eggs for her to set on.he has roosters.she was stealing the other pullets eggs to set on and the two fake eggs i have in the nest boxes.

5. bucky52

Apr 26, 2011
    i'am new at candling eggs.i read and studied the pictures on egg candling.still not sure if i did it right.i did the candling on day 16 and i seen a small dark spot and i could see liquid. i tossed that one .the other two eggs look full and i seen that looked like a air space on one end.i smelled them yesterday and they did not have a bad smell.

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hopefully at least one of them will hatch for her. I don't candle my hatching eggs, I just pop them in the 'bator/under a broody and hope for the best!

7. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    My broody has 10 eggs but was off the nest for 4 hours, ( she was locked out of the coop accidentally, do you think they will still hatch? She is due to hatch on Sunday. My other chicken hatched 6 out of 11 this week

8. bucky52

Apr 26, 2011
    yesterday evening,i went to feed and water my flock and my broody was setting in the wrong nest.she was setting on a fake egg and one that the pullets had laid that morning.how long i don't know.it was very warm yesterday.don't know if that would make a differance she is setting on two eggs.hopefully one will hatch.

9. bucky52

Apr 26, 2011
    she hatched one.i went to feed my flock after i got home from work.and when i went to raise her up there was a very tiny peep under her.than i was worried she would smother it.she still has one more egg under her.whoo hoo!

10. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

Yes... they'll still hatch.
    LOL, no, she won't smother it. It'll actually tuck itself in her wings, and near her shanks. Don't check her again until tomorrow late afternoon. Then check both chicks to make sure they are formed right. Then leave her and them be. She'll bring them out to eat on/about the third day. Just be sure to have chick waterer and feeders near them, and the others can't get to them. Keep her isolated for a week or so, then let her do her thing. If they need to go up and down the ramp to get in the coop, you may need to help the chicks get in the coop for a few days, then they'll get it. Mine just took 2 days to get it. Smart little suckers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by