How long will a broody sit if hatch goes bad?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Rock Wyandotte, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Rock Wyandotte

Rock Wyandotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2009
    Newbury, Vermont
    I have two broody hens who won't give up even though one has been sitting for 6 weeks (2 bad hatches) and the other for 3 weeks (one bad hatch). We are in Vermont and had a very prematurely cold Oct. but the eggs were shipped and I think they were scrambled to begin with. No development at all. The one broody (2 bad batches) is young and this is her first try. The other had a successful hatch in June and raised all 7 chicks to maturity. Not sure what to do now. Would love to let them hatch out a few chicks each but the one who has already sat for 6 weeks I'm concerned about. She is fat and healthy and I don't want to compromise her health. Do I let her give it one more try? I've set aside her sisters eggs for her and can put them under her tomorrow. The tried and true girl is getting 6 new eggs in the mail tomorrow. Any advice out there?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

You have two choices. Continue to try and let her hatch - remember to let shipped eggs rest pointy side down for 24 hour before giving them to her, or put her in jail with no nesting materials to break her.

3. Rock Wyandotte

Rock Wyandotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2009
    Newbury, Vermont
    Thanks, Deb, for the advice. Sounds good.

4. dianneS

dianneS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    I've had broodies just sit forever! They eventually get over it and give up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by