1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long will a broody sit on the nest?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dreamer5577, Feb 7, 2016.

1. dreamer5577

dreamer5577 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Just trying to get a rough estimate here. My silkie hen has been broody for almost 3 weeks now. I tried to hatch some of our own eggs, but none ended up being fertile for some odd reason. So, I ordered hatching eggs and will give her half and hatch half on my own - just in case. I am of course worried that she will give up soon since we are already almost 3 weeks into this ordeal.
    What is your opinion on this?
    What's the longest your broodys have sat on the nest?

2. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    About 4 weeks,but she didn't stop acting broody until about 6 weeks,then she wouldn't stop peeping for like 5 months.She will probaly give up.

3. dreamer5577

May 16, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks! That's such a bummer. Maybe I'll just hatch all of them myself then.

Anyone else?

4. JetCat

JetCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2015
    Southeast Alabama
    typically unless they hatch something they'll keep setting long past 3/4 weeks, the problem you run into is their health can start to decline from devoting so much energy into brooding. give her a boost in the food she's eating and set the eggs, worse case you can add the eggs to the incubator if she abandon them, but it's very likely she'll set till they hatch.

5. dreamer5577

May 16, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Thank you! Is there anything in particular that I can give her along with her food to keep her healthy?

6. JetCat

JetCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2015
    Southeast Alabama
    Boost her protein. swap her regular layer feed to a game bird feed or supplement by giving her boiled eggs along with her regular feed, or both.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by