How long will a broody sit?

cestial225

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 8, 2013
Two weeks ago my broody lost her three chicks the day they were born, They were squashed by another hen trying to lay in her box. Since she still wanted to sit I took some eggs from another broody and put them under her. Those eggs were due to hatch this weekend. Well last night a skunk got into our coop and ate all the eggs from under both broodies that we were due to hatch in a few days.:(

So now I have two birds sitting on empty nests. The one bird has been sitting already for 6 weeks. She has lost weight and looks horrible. I dont know if I should let her sit any longer, but I dont know how to break her either. Do you all think it would be safe to put more eggs under her? or will it be unhealthy for her to sit for month after month like that?

Last edited:
some broodies will sit until they die, so it may be best to break them and start again after they have had a rest and look healthy again. to break a broody get a wire bottom crate (like the ones you use for dogs) add food and water and put the broody in there. it may take a few days to a week before she is broken (not broody anymore).

I'm so sorry about your two losses! Broody hens will sit up to extremely long times and I have even heard of them sitting long enough to hatch out 6 bunches of chicks. Your one hen that has been sitting for 6 weeks (the one that looks sickly and you were concerned about) I wouldn't put new eggs under her. However, if you still want her to have chicks and be a mother, she has been broody long enough that I think she would take young chicks under her. :) That what I ended up doing with one of my hens who had been broody for a couple months. This way you don't have to break her and she can still be a mommy!
wee.gif
But the other hen I might try again and HOPE that nothing gets the eggs. How long has she been laying on eggs? If this is her first time you could either put new eggs under her (and hope nothing gets this batch
fl.gif
) or put chicks under her! Hope this helped!:)

My other hen has only been sitting for 3 weeks now and she looks okay so I might put some more eggs under her and when they hatch move a few to the other hen. Or maybe they will just share babies. I have them together in a broody pen since the other layers smooshed the first hatch.

Good move on the broody pen:) I wouldn't keep her in the same pen however if you aren't going to put eggs under her. She might still some of the eggs from the other hen and attempt to sit on them which would be defeating the purpose. Maybe have her take a break and try again in a couple weeks? She should be better by then. If you wanted to see if she could lay again, you could put some vitamins and electrolytes in their water and they would probably perk up a bit. Maybe even crushing up some tums and putting it in their water (not many only about two). And that would give them some more calcium and help them perk up as well. :)

Well I thoughtthe skunk ate all the eggs but there was one hiding. When I went to collect the eggs today one was pipped and the chick was peeping like crazy! Mama came back and is sitting on it. I took the fresh eggs out and closed the door so the other hens can't disturb her and the chick. I really hope that chick makes it and she gets to be a mama.

Yes the chick hatched! Mama and chick are safe in the sectioned off brooder. Mama took it out of the nest today to eat. It was super cute. This chick came from a blue copper maran roo over a barred rock hen. Would that make it a sexed link chick? How would I be abnle to tell? I really hope it is a hen cause I don't need anymore roos but I feel like this is a special bird being my first broody hatch and I want to keep it forever!

Yes the chick hatched! Mama and chick are safe in the sectioned off brooder. Mama took it out of the nest today to eat. It was super cute. This chick came from a blue copper maran roo over a barred rock hen. Would that make it a sexed link chick? How would I be abnle to tell? I really hope it is a hen cause I don't need anymore roos but I feel like this is a special bird being my first broody hatch and I want to keep it forever!

There is a link here ---> https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/261208/sex-linked-information that shows what breeds can be crossed with other breeds to create a sexlink and I did not see Marans on the list for Rooster part. So it is not likely a sex link, however you can post pics of it as a day old chick, and as it gets old and the rest of us can help you determine the sex of it.

Congrats on the hatch!

Back
Top Bottom