How long will a chicken stay broody?

BallsEleven

Songster
Dec 12, 2019
South Louisiana
So I have 4 hens that all have gone broody together and I figure I might as well get some fuzz balls out of it so I plan on buying some hatching eggs.

Only problem is the ones I want say they won't be delivered until the end of October. The hens have already been broody for at least the past 2-3 weeks. Will they stay that way until the eggs come in?

That's too far away. Use hens that are freshly broody or have been brooding less than 2 weeks. Many hens will brood for months if they're allowed to, but it's not healthy for them. While they are brooding they get little exercise and don't eat right.
If the hens are broke of broodiness now, it's quite likely they will be broody again by the end of Oct.

The best time to give a broody eggs is 1 week in, when it's obvious that they're committed. I wouldn't give them eggs if this is their first time going broody - let them get used to that hormone rush first.

If they are a broody breed, be aware that they will be 'really' bad at taking care of themselves. You may need to force them off the nest twice a day to get them to eat, drink, and dust bathe whether you've given them eggs or not.

It will take them a few months to cycle back around after a long brooding session. They may go into a post-broody moult as well, so don't expect these girls that are currently brooding to be the ones to hatch your eggs.
Make plans to brood and rear artificially now, especially if you paid a pretty penny for shipped eggs.

I have an older broody that's 2-3 weeks in whose a great mother, but I won't be giving her any if the eggs I'm having delivered next week - it would be too much to expect her to sit another 3 weeks on them. The longest she's brooded air is 5 weeks and they can lose a lot of condition in that time if they aren't taking care of themselves. - this goes double if you give them eggs. They 'know' and a young broody can downright get obsessed and depressed on their first clutch, refusing to leave the nest for self-care.

First time with eggs, my girl started throwing all of them on day 19 (one had quit but I don't think she knew which one) I had to sit with her for a whole day to get her emotions in order so she could finish the hatch.

The best time to give a broody eggs is 1 week in, when it's obvious that they're committed. I wouldn't give them eggs if this is their first time going broody - let them get used to that hormone rush first.

If they are a broody breed, be aware that they will be 'really' bad at taking care of themselves. You may need to force them off the nest twice a day to get them to eat, drink, and dust bathe whether you've given them eggs or not.

It will take them a few months to cycle back around after a long brooding session. They may go into a post-broody moult as well, so don't expect these girls that are currently brooding to be the ones to hatch your eggs.
Make plans to brood and rear artificially now, especially if you paid a pretty penny for shipped eggs.

I have an older broody that's 2-3 weeks in whose a great mother, but I won't be giving her any if the eggs I'm having delivered next week - it would be too much to expect her to sit another 3 weeks on them. The longest she's brooded air is 5 weeks and they can lose a lot of condition in that time if they aren't taking care of themselves. - this goes double if you give them eggs. They 'know' and a young broody can downright get obsessed and depressed on their first clutch, refusing to leave the nest for self-care.

First time with eggs, my girl started throwing all of them on day 19 (one had quit but I don't think she knew which one) I had to sit with her for a whole day to get her emotions in order so she could finish the hatch.
Thank you for the clear advice! I have my second broody now and was just wondering how many days I can wait to put eggs under her. I could go tomorrow, but part of me wants to wait for my nephew to come with me. He arrives in two days.

Also, I lost a young mother recently and was puzzled how thin she was. The chicks were one week old, when she died, defending them from some intruder... She had not eaten well and I was daft enough not to know better to look after her. She did not die of hunger, but I wonder how much better she would have faired if she had been more plump.

Back
Top Bottom