1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long will a fertile egg last without hen sitting on it?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChelseysChicken, Dec 18, 2013.

1. ChelseysChicken

ChelseysChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2013
    North TX
    first time broody left the nest today after 4/5 eggs hatched. last one hatching this morning.
    Iv candled the last egg and it is developed, Today is day 23. What should I do with the last egg? And is there a chance it could still hatch. Shes been off of the nest all day. Temp is upper 60's
    Thanks for any feedback

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Can you see movement on candling, have you tried the float test? If she has been off all day and the egg has been sitting at 60 I would guess it is probably dead in the shell. Do you have an incubator you could put it in, or make something up if you want to give it longer, even another broody and watch it closely?

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I discard all unhatched eggs after the hen leaves the nest. I use broody hens cause I don't want to hand brood chicks and don't do special needs animals. I figure there's a reason the egg didn't hatch and just toss it.

4. ChelseysChicken

Jun 1, 2013
    North TX
    Oh dear, Kelsie you would not believe what my crazy self was doin with that little abandoned egg!!! LOL As soon as I saw her off of it I was watching like a hawk until hours past I said " Il save you!" Put it wrapped in a cloth on a heating pad! [​IMG] Then I decided It probably wasnt going to make it anyway so I set it on the porch for 30 minutes THEN felt so bad I took it and put it under mama[​IMG]
    I dont know whats going to happen with it but that dang little abandoned egg sure has stressed me out today!! My DH is laughing at me,I have no idea why??[​IMG]

5. ChelseysChicken

Jun 1, 2013
    North TX
    The plan is when she leaves it tomorrow,take it and "discard" it :)

IF it hasnt hatched ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by