How long will a fertilised egg last?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by turtleshell, Jan 15, 2010.

1. turtleshell

turtleshell Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2010
    Gympie, Qld, Australia
    Hi there, I'm new to the world of chickens. I have only recently started out with my flock. Started with 5 about 3 months ago, sadly lost two and then increased to 8 to weeks ago. Anyway, I have no roosters, one of the hens I have laying was with a rooster when I purchased her two weeks ago. She has been sitting on an egg all day today, do I remove it from under her or should I let her sit on it? What is the possibility of it being fertile? I am very uneducated in the area of egg fertilisation so any information would be helpful. Thanks, Turleshell:idunno

2. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    Generally after about a week fertilization is at a minimum i would remove the egg and let her go on about her day

3. Paganbird

Paganbird CrescentWood Farm

Apr 25, 2009
    Western Pa
    Eggs can remain fertile for up to 3 weeks after separation from a rooster. If your hen is truly broody, you could always buy some fertile eggs to put under her & let her hatch them.
    Good Luck!
    [​IMG]

4. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    Paganbird 3 weeks really i was to understand 1 week good two weeks it was done?

5. Barred Rocker

Barred Rocker cracked egg

Jul 15, 2009
    King and Queen Co, Va
    I believe 3 weeks is the accepted norm. Eggs are at their "most" fertile the first week. Hatchibility will degrade as time goes on. I've heard stories here that some have hatched after more than a month but I've never tried any. May have to test that this year.

6. swheat

swheat The Bantam Barn

Mar 18, 2008
    Alabama
    My Coop
    Up to 3 week after being with a rooster

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by