1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long will a hen stay bred once isolated?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by heymikey, Dec 8, 2009.

1. heymikey

heymikey Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2009
    I'm looking at a hen(ameraucana) that has been in a mixed flock and would like to breed her with a pure roo. If I remove her and isolate her any idea how long she will stay bred from the mixed flock?

2. Chickndaddy

Chickndaddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2007
    East Texas
    I believe 4 weeks is the recommended time frame before you collect her eggs for hatching. I always waited 4 weeks and never had any surprises. I know others who go longer, or shorter but I would say 4. [​IMG]

3. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree with chickndaddy. Normal length is four weeks before you can be relatively sure that the new roo is the only fertility.

4. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    I agree with 4-weeks. If your antsy to get started though don't put the new roo in with her and check her eggs for fertility. Once you get 3-4 days in a row of unfertile eggs I think you would be good to go.

5. heymikey

heymikey Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2009
    Quote:Great Idea, I didn't think to wait then check the eggs for fertility. Thanks ALL!!

6. SoCalChick

SoCalChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Valley Center, CA
    - interesting - but what if you just have one roo and want to hatch eggs from a particular hen. If i isolate her, will her - how long will the eggs be fertile - or do i need to keep her with the roo?

7. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Quote:You'll probably have fertile eggs for the first week and likely the second as well. After that I don't think it's worth trying to incubate. The 4-week rule of thumb is to ensure you're not getting a cross you don't want, but fertility from 2-weeks on is a crapshoot.

8. SoCalChick

SoCalChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Valley Center, CA
    Thank you kittymomma![​IMG]

9. S&N Livestock

S&N Livestock Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    southern ohio
    I always thought it like this not sure im right but i went with it anyway week 1 and 2 almost 100% fertile thru week 3, 50% and thru week 4, 25% fertile

Chickens have several sperm sacks they release sperm as needed to fertilize the eggs

10. windyridgefarm

windyridgefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Granville, MA
    This may sound like a newbie question -because it is- but.... How does one go about checking for fertility in an egg as mentioned above?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by