How long will a hen stay broody if none of the eggs hatch?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RL, Aug 26, 2010.

1. RL

RL Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Oak Point, TX
    I have a Barred Rock hen that went broody the last few days of July. I did not have any fertile eggs because my Roo died a few months back. I bought some eggs and put them under her on the 5th of Aug. Of course this is one of our hottest months here in Texas. The day time temps have been between 100 and 106 with night time temps in high 80's to 90's. On Monday I think it was, the temp toped out at about 108. Day 21 was yesterday and none of the eggs have hatched and I know they were developping nicelly but, I fear the heat has killed them.

So here is my question. How long will this hen sit on these eggs before giving up? I would like to get some chicks to slip under her, but I do not know anyone close that has chicks right now. What would y'all do?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  2. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    It depends on the chicken. Some give up pretty quickly, others linger. I'd give her another day or two and see what happens.

Good luck!

3. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    I had a Delaware that went broody in June and stayed for 2 months. She still clucks and makes those broody hen noises but isn't on the nest any longer. So I definitely agree that it depends on the chicken.

4. RL

Jun 8, 2009
    Oak Point, TX
    Thanks for the replies. I was thinking that was going to be the case.

5. RL

Jun 8, 2009
    Oak Point, TX
    Thanks for the replies. I was thinking that was going to be the case.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by